Winter 2021/2022 CSA Sign Ups are NOW OPEN!
SIGN UP HERE
What is Community Supported Agriculture (CSA)?
CSA is a mutually beneficial arrangement between you (our co-producers) & us, your farmers. We have the skills, the know-how & the land to grow your food. You have the desire to be connected to where your food comes from and to eat food that is delicious and good for you. You’ve also got the money (honey – We’ve got the time.). Your early investment is important to the success of our farm. While we know not everyone is into knowing where their food comes from & who grows it, if you’re in our CSA, not only do we hope you get to know us, but we want to get to know you! Community IS the first word in CSA, after all.
We offer a number of different CSA share sizes to accommodate different lifestyles/households. We do not pre-box our shares, but rather we offer them to members market style. That means we have them out for y’all to choose from. So, not only do you get to choose which tomatoes or cucumbers you want, you also get to swap items out for others, using our member-suggested swap box. We know we can’t compete with the big box guys & gals when it comes to convenience, but we do think we have a good handle on diversity, product freshness & flavor, as well as numerous others that aren’t easily put into words. Join our CSA & you’ll see what we mean. You can read more about what our members think about their CSA experiences at our Local Harvest listing here.
What do members receive?
- super fresh, delicious & nutrient dense produce – grown using beyond organic methods (though we are not certified)
- convenient pick up locations through out the week, including on-farm pick up
- the opportunity to truly know your farmers and where your food comes from – we grow 100% of what we offer to our CSA members in their shares – we do not buy and resell
- the chance to influence what & how we grow – we send out yearly surveys to our members for suggestions in ways we can make the experience even better
- weekly emails with farm updates, photos, recipes & other ideas
- staples as well as not-often-found-in-grocery-stores kinds of produce
- member choice in selection of your produce
- invitations to on-farm events such as our annual Spring & Autumn potluck parties
- invitations to on-farm pick-your-own events, particularly with our blueberries, but also possibly with our strawberries, sugar snaps, pole beans, etc. (the latter are open to CSA members only & CSA members get first dibs on the blueberries come picking time)
- opportunities to establish a work share relationship (do you want to work for your veggies & learn more about farming – email us!)
- a chance to receive a partially or fully sponsored CSA share thanks to the generosity of our community members (for more information, contact Patricia by email or phone).
Winter (December – February for 6 of 12 weeks): Winter squash, Sweet potatoes, Kohlrabi, Winter radishes (e.g., watermelon radish and purple daikon), Scallions, Rutabaga, Turnips & greens, Kale, Collards, Arugula, Mesclun mix, Lettuce, Spinach, Leeks, Beets and greens, Chard, Carrots, Fennel, Herbs: Cilantro, Dill, Parsley
We offer two CSA share sizes in the Winter:
The Winter season runs from December through February. It offers unique challenges, given the holidays and the weather. But Winter veggies are also THE sweetest of the year and so, so good! We run the season for 6 of about 12 weeks. That means that usually you’ll pick up every other week, but sometimes you’ll pick up back-to-back (though you may always reschedule a pick up to an off week for CSA, but pick up at market, so you’re not stuck with the crazy schedule that is Winter. If you work with us, we work with you :).
- Single shares include 6-8 items approximately every other week for 6 of 12 weeks. This is the standard share size for most families who have limited time for processing veggies. You can bring these veggies home and easily fit them into your fridge. (4 farmers’ choice items + 3 member choice items) See note below.*
- Double shares include 14 items approximately every other week for 6 of 12 weeks. You want to be pretty expert at processing and putting up your veggies when you get home with this share! It’s perfect for those folks who have a system in place for storing and using a large amount of veggies at one time. If you’re on the fence about which size to try, go with the single. You can always upgrade if you feel you could use more produce. (7 farmers’ choice items + 7 member choice items) See note below.*
*NOTE* Due to Covid-19, we started boxing up our shares. Our CSA was always a market-style set up that allowed for quite a bit of choice. We use an ordering system now to allow for what we think is a nice mix of CSA. We give members some farmers’ choice items and allow members to choose the rest of their items from our CSA online store. Or, if you’d prefer (or forget to place your order), we will create a delicious farmer curated share for you. Single shares receive 4 farmers’ choice items and choose 3 additional items. Double shares receive 7 farmers’ choice items and choose 7 additional items.
We offer five pick up locations.
- Tuesdays 3-5 pm (winter hours) at Fearrington Farmers’ Market, E Camden, Fearrington Village
- Wednesdays 4-7 pm in Cary at Cassie and Jeff’s place, 107 Carrousel Lane, Cary
- Wednesdays 4:30-5:30 pm at Five Points at Wesley Memorial Church, 714 E Whitaker Mill Rd, Raleigh
- Thursdays 4-7 pm at the Farm, 456 Friendly Pooch Lane, Pittsboro
- Thursdays 3-6 pm at the Pittsboro Farmers’ Market, 287 East Street, Pittsboro
We also offer partially sponsored shares & work share opportunities for folks. If you would like to learn more about either or both of these options, please email us at InGoodHeartFarmNC@gmail.com or give Patricia a call or text at 919-637-0666.
CSA pick ups are market style. We will post a guide for how many of which produce items you may take each week, including pick one options and the swap box. Most folks bring their own reusable bags, baskets, or coolers, but we also offer bags at pick up sites. We will begin sending newsletters at least one week prior to the start of the season, but you can stay connected to the farm via our Facebook and Instagram pages.
We understand that it can be difficult to make it to pick ups every week. We offer members the opportunity to reschedule a pick-up with a 3 day notice via their membership login site. Members may also have friends or family pick up their shares in their absence, as well as choose to donate their share that week. We also offer a pre-scheduled make up week at the end of each season. All shares left without notice will be donated.